Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:02:24 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Still getting kmem exhausted panic

On 28-9-2010 15:46, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 28/09/2010 16:25 Willem Jan Withagen said the following:
>> Well advises seem to vary, and the latest I understood was that
>> 8.1-stable did not need any tuning. (The other system with a much
>> older kernel is tuned as to what most here are suggesting) And I
>> was shure led to believe that even since 8.0 panics were no longer
>> among us......
>
> Well, now you have demonstrated yourself that it is not always so.

I thought I should share the knowledge. ;)
Which is not a bad thing ofr those (starting to) use ZFS.

I do not read commits, but do read a lot of FreeBSD groups.
And for me there is still a shroud of black art over ZFS.
Just glad that my main fileserver doesn't crash. (knock on wood).

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide#Limiting_the_ARC_Cache

> Short version - decide how much memory you need for everything else
> but ZFS ARC.
> If autotuned value suits you, then you don't need to change
> anything.

I do have (read) this document, but still that doesn't really give you
guidelines for tuning on FreeBSD. It is a fileserver without any serious
other apps.
I was using "auto-tuned", and that crashed my box. That is what started
this whole thread.

- --WjW