Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2010 20:00:16 GMT
From:      Krzysztof Dajka <alteriks@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/147560: [boot] Booting 8.1-PRERELEASE raidz system take  ages

The following reply was made to PR amd64/147560; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Krzysztof Dajka <alteriks@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org, alteriks@gmail.com
Subject: Re: amd64/147560: [boot] Booting 8.1-PRERELEASE raidz system take
	ages
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:33:12 +0200

 --001485f1972c55a58f048889ddda

 I have done few test and narrowed problem to probing usb devices. I have
 taken following steps:

 1) I prepared installed bootcode to 3 devices
 - 512MB Kingston flash drive
 - 32MB SD Card
 - 1MB file (created with dd, mounted with mdconfig, added gpt partition and
 freebsd-boot slice) booted over pxe
 2) All devices had newest bootcode, booting from every device was terrible
 slow, but sd card was significantly slower than others.
 3) I played with my zpool
 # zpool offline zroot gpt/disk2
 4) reboot
 5) I booted with every device. Booting from both devices connected to usb
 bus, was slow. Booting over pxe from 1MB 'drive' with bootcode was very fast
 as it should be.
 6) Booting over pxe with any device attached to usb bus was again slow!

 --001485f1972c55a58f048889ddda

 ated with dd, mounted with mdconfig, added gpt partition and<br>

 freebsd-boot slice) booted over pxe<br>2) All devices had newest bootcode, =
 booting from every device was terrible<br>slow, but sd card was significant=
 ly slower than others.<br>3) I played with my zpool<br># zpool offline zroo=
 t gpt/disk2<br>

 4) reboot<br>5) I booted with every device. Booting from both devices conne=
 cted to usb<br>bus, was slow. Booting over pxe from 1MB &#39;drive&#39; wit=
 h bootcode was very fast<br>as it should be.<br>6) Booting over pxe with an=
 y device attached to usb bus was again slow!<br>

 --001485f1972c55a58f048889ddda--