Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:23:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Scott Brown <skb@icey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions, questions...

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Scott Brown wrote:
> How can I login as root from a remote location?

Don't.  Login as a normal user and su to root when you need to.

> How do I partition and format a 2nd hard disk?

Use /stand/sysinstall and the partition/label options.
man disklabel, newfs.  Read the Handbook section on how
to do it.

> Is there an easy way to create a new account?

/usr/sbin/adduser

> Can FreeBSD support my old Thomas-Conrad 5045 Ethernet adapter?

If it doesn't probe, probably not.

> How do I get Apache running, since sysinstall can't find it?

If you have net access, ftp the port and/or package from
ftp.freebsd.org

> If anyone knows of a good way to start learning this stuff, I'd like to
> hear it.  I'd love to get my hands on something like a big, heavy,
> 1000-plus-page Unix system administrator's guidebook, if anyone cares to

Get the 3-5 volume 4.4BSD manual set from O'Reilly. (2 volumes are
supplemental documents)

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com