Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:06:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dara@salk.edu (Dara Ghahremani)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing network cards

> Thanks very much for your help. The cards are being recognized in both
> machines now, but other problems have emerged.
>
> 1) On Machine#2, which has the Intel card installed, I can login but upon
> entering my passwd, the screen freezes and no key presses have any affect.
> Do you know what may be the cause of this?

This is typically a wierd keyboard controller.  If you unplug and replug
the keyboard, does it come back?  Are you using a PS/2 mouse?  The
console driver has changed recently to account for PS/2 mouse issues,
and a couple of keyboard stalls due to writing the LED's; there may even
be an option for working around your problem... see the LINT file in
/sys/i386/conf for documentation of available options.

If you can't fix it this way, you will need to contact the driver
maintainer, Soren Schmidt (sos@freebsd.org).

> 2) On Machine#1, there seems to be a conflict w/ the SCSI bus (where the
> internal drive is connected) and the net card (both in PCI slots).
> Sometimes both work fine, but most of the time, the SCSI bus is
> not recognized upon boot. Do you know of any tools which might help sort
> out this matter?

Is your SCSI an Adaptec 3940?  They take 2 PCI interrupts.  Try
reordering the cards, in any case.  If you can, avoid putting a card
to either side of the SCSI card (other than the video card).  If your
video card issues vertical retrace interrupts, jumper them off.  Note
that slot one and slot four are adjacent for the purposes of interrupt
stealing.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org