Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 00:13:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        bob@luke.pmr.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au, cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us
Subject:   Re: hardware

Wes Peters said:

> I just bought a Samsung 3.4 Gb drive with these features for my wife's
> machine, which runs Win95 and WinNT both.  The drive is fast and quiet,
> and judging from the Samsungs we have scattered around at work,
> reliable.  I suppose it is the "mode 4" that gives us the equivalents of
> detach and command queueing, Mr. Smith?

I'll answer the question -- mode 4 is a fairly fast PIO mode.  It is not
desirable to use esp. on a PPro.  You really want to use mode 2 DMA or
Ultra DMA.  My guess is that simple command setup for DMA on an IDE drive
is faster than an equiv SCSI system.  In fact, the command overhead of recent
IDE drives is very impressively low.

(For SCSI advocates -- I don't mean to imply that IDE is better than
SCSI, only that it is getting surprisingly good, for such a low-end
technology.)

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org