Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 10:06:08 -0600
From:      "Douglas C. Garrick" <dcg@panther.upl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   UltraStore U24f and booting

Hi and thanks in advance for taking a look at this problem.

I have been using FreeBSD on several machines since late last year and I have just recently
setup a machine for use as an web server.  The web server has been running at my house for about
6 weeks (until last week) around the clock.   When the "West Coast Power Failure" struck last week
it spiked my home bad and took out the web server.   Well now most of the machine came back (kinda) but
I lost the the IDE.

Now I cannot boot from my a Seagate 44766N drive hung off an UltraStore U24f controller.  Here is
the before and after configurations.

Before power hit:

"Generic Intel 80486 EISA system unit /w 32 Mbytes ram,
Generic IDE / multi I/O board /w 1 5.25 floppy, 1 3.5 floppy and 1 Maxtor 324 mbyte ide drive,
Ultrastore U24f controller w 2 Seagate 44766N drives, and 1 Plextor CDrom drive.

The IDE Maxtor contained the /, /var,  and a 100mbyte swap files system,  and the 2 Seagate scsi drives
contained the /usr and /usr2 file systems.

After the system took the hit it would fail as soon the Ultrastore bios would look at the cmos table for
a drive configuration.  It would fail with an ' HDD controller failure',   If I disable the "C" drive
configuration in the cmos setup the system would start without error except now there is no boot file system.

So I added another Seagate scsi drive to use as boot device and reinstalled FreeBSD.

After power hit:

Generic Intel 80486 EISA system unit /w 32 Mbytes ram
Generic IDE Controller / multi I/O board with just floppies.
Ultrastore U24f /w 3 Seagate 44766N scsi drives, and 1 Plextor CDrom drive.

The reinstall goes fine  bit the system hangs at boot time.  Just freezes up tight.  I sort of
suspect an interupt conflict but I don't know what to do about it.  What gets me is that under the first
install those Seagate drives configured fine and ran perfectly.  I figured that if the controller and drives
would host any file system that it would host a boot file system as well.   Am I wrong or just a little
inexperienced.

*                                                              *
*  Douglas C.  Garrick                                         *
*  Systems Administrator                                       *
*  Bridger Coal Company                                        *
*  P.O.  Box 2068                                              *
*  9.5 miles n.e. of Point of Rocks Wyoming                    *
*  Rock Springs,  Wyoming 82901-2068                           *
*  voice (307).382.9742   fax (307).362.5330                   *
*  email dcg@panther.upl.com                                   *

Thanks again.