Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:37:59 -0300
From:      Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>
To:        noc@hdk5.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dumb down a Netgear Smart Switch

Em Ter, 2013-03-19 às 17:09 -1000, Al Plant escreveu:

> Aloha,
>
> Anybody on our list who can tell me how to set a Netgear GS108T 8 Port
> Smart Switch (Gigabit) to pass thru to a modem under FreeBSD. I have 2
> other (non Smart) ones working with FreeBSD just fine in my rack and
> need to  have the new one connect with a DSL modem on a static address.
>
> The instructions they sent me along with the switch that was a
> replacement for a non smart one at no charge is the type for using a
> DHCP service on Microsoft. (I cant complain about the up grade but its
> over kill for my purpose.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

My experience with "smart" switches is at minimum "not good"
they sometimes "block", they need "programming", I had an experience
with a dell smart switch that blocks the entire network of servers when
a  set of diskless stations boots, the only solution is to make it
dumber.
finally we changed that one for about 3 cisco gigabit 48 ports dumb
switches
and never ever heard about network problems again...

Sergio