Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:44:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Pat Dirks <pwd@apple.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Pat Dirks wrote:

> as "local".  As part of this "adoption" process the users is prompted to
> choose one of two ways to handle the existing permissions on the disk:
>
>      * Retain them as-is (useful for cases where you have external
> reasons to believe
>        the numeric user and group IDs on the filesystem are sensible and
> meaningful)
>
>                                         OR
>
>      * Overwrite all owner/group information with the reserved ID
> "unknown".  This
>        leaves the effective permissions unchanged but enables them to be
> changed
>        individually.  You can chown(2) and chgrp(2) files and directories.

What about allowing a mapping of the foreign filesystem IDs to local IDs
when the filesystem is adopted.  A user might well prepare a filesystem on
one machine, and then want to use it permently on this.  Something that
would allow foreign filesystems with key X get uid 1001 mapped to 6002, and
uid 1002 to 4534, everything else goes to unknown.  This is easier than
having to do chown -R everytime some carries a removable filesystem from
home to work, or vice versa.

> Note that one interesting option might be to provide a one-time-only
> "adoption" which has no permanent effect; when the disk is encountered
> later it is once again "foreign".  This might make sense for security
> reasons (if you don't want this disk to become a possible future carrier
> for SetUID binaries)

I would think you want this the default behavior.

David Scheidt, waiting till Mac OS X to replace his Quadra 605.