Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:14:20 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bind 8 vs. Bind 9

I have a large mail server with a couple of zones defined where the sum
of the zone definition files is 153 MB.  When I use Bind 8 the VSIZE
for bind jumps to 250 MB.  Thats with nothing going on using bind.
When I switch to Bind 9 and load the same files the VSIZE jumps to 353
MB.  I was hoping to use the max-cache-size feature in bind 9 but the
extra size of it makes it impractical.  Why is it that much larger?