Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 13:57:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, olah@cs.utwente.nl, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard lockout on 2.x.x

> > Time to rewrite the keyboard driver?
>
> Yep and has been for a looooong time...
>
> I've started on the project some time ago, but I'm still agueing with
> myself how it should be done, also taking the ps/2 mouse into the
> picture and making a separate kbd driver out of it (which the
> console driver then talks to).
> I seem to be stuck on the pro's and con on this, and has sort of
> given up on it again :(

I'll argue with you about it if you want.  8-).

I think the mouse needs to be virtualized so all mice present the
same interface to an application program.

When the PS/2 mouse is probed to exist (as opposed to just the port
being there), it would register with the mouse driver so that
requests to /dev/mouse end up reading/writing the PS/2 mouse.

Same for a bus mouse.

For a serial mouse, you run a program in user space that opens
the serial ports with nothing on them; maybe run it in place of
getty in /etc/ttys.  8-).  If it sees a mouse, it opens /dev/mouse
and says "I am a mouse provider", and translates to the generic
interface for mouse providers (the same as the interface for
mouse consumers, mostly).

This lets you add touch pads and other stuff as mouse providers
without having to rewrite X or orther apps.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.