Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:54:18 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just curious

I have it running just fine too. Granted, it takes much manual
babysitting of portupgrade after the initial massive attempt to get
through the remaining 10%, but it's been that way the last few Gnome
upgrades.

My trick is to save the list of failed (not skipped) ports, then go
through them one by one to resolve whatever the issues are (often they
just magically work the 2nd attempt at building, or it's a fetch issue,
or corrupt distfile). Always using the -R switch with portupgrade to
make sure they're built in the right order. Then I go back and run the
initial big portupgrade command again but adding parameters to exclude
any ports built after my first attempt (necessary due to the -f switch,
otherwise I'd never make any progress!).

Rinse, repeat, and eventually I get the latest Gnome. :)