Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 19:45:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        Benedikt Stockebrand <benedikt@devnull.ruhr.de>, Andrew Bromage <bromage@queens.unimelb.edu.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers as a backup medium

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, jack wrote:

> My experience indicates that your statements are wrong.  I piped the
> output of mkisofs to cdrecord in one xterm while doing level 0 dumps
> of about 4 gigs of files in another.  Halfway through burning the CD
> /etc/daily started and called /etc/security with its `find'.  The CD
> that was produced has been used to install, or upgrade to, 2.2.7 on
> three different machines so far.
>
> I have two 4gig and a 1gig hard drive, the tape drive, the CD
> burner, and a CD reader on a single Adaptec 2940UW.

I was also able to beat my filesystems to death while burning a CD at
2x on an HP 4020e.  I have two 4.3GB drives on an NCR 53c875
controller, and the CD writer was on an old Adaotec 1522 (AIC6360,
ISA, non-busmastering.. not the most ideal card for the job either).
The ISO image was already created, however, not created on the fly.

I love FreeBSD... You can't even breathe on the mouse while trying to
burn a CD in Winblows without risking a failure.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */