Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 11:40:21 -0700
From:      Zander Collier <zcollier@concentric.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2 installation problem

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 05, 1997 at 03:41:03AM -0700, Zander Collier wrote:
> > I'm installing 2.2.2 release from CD ROM with /stand/sysinstall
> > and am constantly running into the problem of the packages
> > being written to the / slice instead of the /usr slice.
> >
> > Even after just installing the Linux compatibility libraries,
> > the / slice reads like this:
> >
> > Filesystem   1K-blocks   Used      Avail    Capacity   Mounted on
> > /dev/wd0a      31775    29874     -641      102%     /
> > /dev/wd0s1f  1803399   251174  1407954       15%     /usr
> > /dev/wd0s1e    29727     1200    26149        4%     /var
> > procfs                   4          4        0      100%     /proc
> >

> > Yes, I am doing everything I know how to do to install to /usr.
> >
> > Specifically, in the sysinstall/options, I specify '/usr' from the
> > default '/'
> >
> > Am I doing things incorrectly, or am I saddled with a buggy
> > sysinstall?
>
> There's no bug in sysinstall that I know of.  What do you end up with
> in your root file system?

Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt> tipped me off
to the answer. (hurray!)

It seems to be that the Linux compatibility libraries eat up all
the space as they are installed to /compat.  What I was instructed
to do was move the libraries to /usr/compat and write in a symlink,

ln -s /usr/compat /compat

and that seemed to clear up the problem.  I am back down to a
reasonable 49%.

Filesystem   1K-blocks   Used      Avail    Capacity   Mounted on
/dev/wd0a      31775     14418     14815      49%      /

The things we do for DOOM...

However, this might be a good item to document, as I could find
the answer written nowhere.  Perhaps in the 2.2.2 errata, along
with the login.conf problem?

And finally, where would one find the 2.2.2 errata?  I have the
'Complete FreeBSD' book, looked on the website, and found no such
errata.

Thanks,
-Zander