Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:37:18 -0400
From:      "Brent Bailey" <misterb@cybertours.com>
To:        <DAlSault@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does install slice or partition or whatever? Or do I have to do it first?

when you insert the boot floppies ( or if your machine supports booting off
CDROM) the install or better known as sysinstall ...will let you setup you
partions OR slices ..using fdisk.  you can also choose to use default
partition sizes...BUT i found that the defaults make the /var   and /root
partitions smaller than i like...so i chose my own sizes like the following:
im using a 4 gig drive so.....

/   <---- root i made 100 megs -  depending on size of drive you can make
bigger ..default is like 40 megs or something
/swap    <----  i made the swap same as the amout of RAM on the machine
/var   <----- /var  i made 1 gig
/usr   <----- i made the remainder of the disk

good luck