Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 03:50:17 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Satoshi has been petititioned more times than I can count to support
> the 2.2.x folks and he's answered each time that trying to maintain an
> active ports tree for *two* branches is just too much work.  Now given
> that, who does it make more sense to keep ports "active" for - the
> -current users or the -stable users?  Given the comparative rates of
> change in each branch, which makes the most *sense* to support?  Given
> the size of the user populations for each, which is the most logical?
> I'd say -stable for both answers and I have a very hard time beliving
> why anyone would pick -current (and remember - you only get to pick
> *one* branch due to workload concerns, something which has been
> clarified on many many occasions and not worthy of yet another debate
> at this time).

To summarize, do you say that -current ports will be replaced by
-stable port?
If yes, you can remove me from all ports I maintain since I run
-current only. I also ask to make separate -current ports tree
for all ports I maintain and others (unknown) which I change sometimes,
even if this new -current tree will not have portsmaster.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>