Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:49:33 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>, "Sam C. Zamarripa" <scz73@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP & Drops

On Friday 25 January 2002 09:15 am, Martin Karlsson wrote:
> On Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 03:27:52AM -0800, Sam C. Zamarripa wrote:
> [...snip...]
>
> > Every once in awhile there will be a connection
> > drop. Everything works fine then all of the sudden everything stops.
>
> I've got the same problem.
>
> > I have sat and waited up to 5 minutes during these burps and nothing ever
> > seem to come back on its own. I kill -9 dhclient and start it again and
> > I'm back on the net. The last 2 times it burped on me tonight, I didn't
> > wait a second..as soon as it dropped I killed dhclient and restarted and
> > was immediately back on the net.

Are you back on with the same address as before?

If so, I doubt it's dhcp _per_se_ that is causing the trouble; however
killing and restarting dhcp does have the effect of dropping the default
route and then re-establishing it.  I would suspect that the default route is
somehow seizing up.

Next time it happens do a "netstat -nr" and trying "pinging" your default
gateway.

PS: I'm assuming from the what you describe here that you are connected
directly to the cable madem without a firewall in between, right?  (If so I
hope you were careful with your machine's setup to not have any ports open .
. .)

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org