Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:11:09 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP48GX file transfer

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 11:09:07PM -0400, Tim McMillen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone used the kermit or gkermit ports to transfer files to
> their HP48G or GX graphing calculators?  There don't seem to be any other
> tools in ports to use to transfer the files.  HP has even GPL'd the
> windows program that is all touchy feely and GUIish, but it appears not to
> have been ported to anything but windows.  In addition to it being GUI
> based it does seem to have some actually useful features above the simple
> gkermit.  Really I don't care about that as long as I can use gkermit and
> the serial cable (coming in the mail) to transfer files to my HP. (using
> FreeBSD of course.)
> 	If anyone has done it I'd appreciate a bit of help.  At the moment
> (beginning new career, serious time drain), I can't handle the mail load
> on -questions, so if you could please keep me cc'd on any responses I'd
> really appreciate it.  Thanks a lot.
>
> 						Tim

Wow, imagine this question popping up right now! I've used kermit to
transer files to an HP-49, which is a touched-up 48G. What's amazing,
though, is that I just swapped mine for a 48GX with my father (I'm very
dissatisfied with the screen and keyboard of the 49).

I was going to grab some programs and dump some stuff on there.

Here's what you need to do within kermit:

	set line <serial device node>
	set speed 9600
	set carrier-watch off
	set file type binary
	robust
	send <filename>

Right before the "send" command, you want to go to the "I/O" menu on
your HP48, select "Transfer..." and press "D" to select "RECV" from the
menu.

You can change the file type to ASCII, also, but don't forget to set the
FMT field in the HP48 Transfer screen to ASCII.

I've successfully transfered such wonder programs as UFL, Java (the
stack), the "Beverly Hills Cop" theme song, and a few games. No
troubles, it's just damn slow at 9600bps.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx