Date:      08 Aug 2002 23:36:37 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <H@Schmalzbauer.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB-Console, is it brain-damaged?

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anybody has ever thought about a "USB-Console".
Currently I have the problem that my laptop doesn't have any RS232 and
my servers (and switches etc.) are headless. Now I wanted to purchase a
RS232 to BlueTooth adapter (BT is the thing my laptop has built-in) but
even if I agreed with that horrible prices nobody can deliver such a
product.
Then I decided to by a RS232 to USB cable which brought me to that idea.

Since I'm a really fastidiuos (well, thats what the dictionary said)
newbie UNIX-user (since four years) I don't really know much about
"terminals" and the underlaying serial idea (esp. VTxxx). I know serial
transmissions in all (un-/modulated) kinds quiet well, in fact 10 years
ago I constructed some converters for rs232 to centronics, but just from
the hard wire (or the HF/RF carrier)!

Since I always wanted to start learning C and I'm still fascinated like
a child when I can control some RS/6000 with my HP Jornada (via RS232!)
I think this would be a funny project.

Please correct me,

-Harry

P.S. I'm not subscribed, so please CC directly