Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:19:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI DMA lockups in 3.2 (3.3 maybe?)

:>:the problem, we can not address it.  please provide this information
:>:if it is available to you. if it is not, please provide us contact
:>:information for the commercial entities experiencing the problem.
:>:
:>:jmb
:>
:>    First, the statement was anecdotal -- all of the problems have been
:>    fixed in -current.
:
:THIS is EXACTLY what I was saying. What good does it do anyone in a
:commercial environment that its fixed in -current? Thats the reason we
:dumped NetBSD, because everyone was using -current the the releases were
:always unstable.
:
:Of course moving to -current to fix the problems in 3.x introduce a whole
:new set of problems, in which case you have an OS that is never going to be
:stable. When 4.0 is released we'll be told that the problems of 4.0 are
:fixed in -current. When does it end?
:
:DB

    I think the solution here is to change the release mechanism slightly.
    I believe we made a huge mistake splitting of the 4.x tree from 3.x
    so early.

    This time around I think that we should *not* split the tree for
    four months or so.  That is, have a period of 4 months where there is
    only 4.x, no 5.x.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>