Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:01:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        sab@sinai.dhs.org (Scott Benjamin)
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig finding libraries, but ld is not.

Scott Benjamin wrote,
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Scott Benjamin wrote:
> >

> > > I've installed some libs on my machine (3.3-STABLE 11-09-1999) in
> > > /usr/local/lib, via ports and some tarballs.  I have let ldconfig_path in
> > > rc.conf.  When I do a ldconfig -r -v -elf | grep libname, it finds the
> > > correct library.  but when I try to link, the linker can't find the
> > > libraries.  Any ideas?  I'm a bit frustrated.  I would prefer to not set
> > > LD_LIBRARY_PATH if at all possible.
> >
> > you must either set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or use the -L/path/to/wierd/library/dir
> > flag to gcc to tell it where to look.
> >
> > -Alfred
> >

> I've tried the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it still doesn't work.  Any more
> suggestions?

Did you try using the '-L' option on the compile command line? And you
are using the '-l' option too? For example, you are trying to include
/usr/local/libweird.a in your executable, you would need to have
'-L/usr/local/lib -lweird' on the compile command line (if you are
using default Makefile rules, just add the quoted portion to the
LDCONFIG variable).

IIRC, both ldconfig(8) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are for the _runtime_
shared library linker and have nothing to do compiling programs.