Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:43:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Daniel Szlaga <mszlaga@szlaga.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS/2 mouse problems

Greetings,
   I've just done a new install of FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE on a friend's machine.
problem is that the mouse just stopped working.  No reason, no errors, it just
stopped initializing in the kernel.

Machine: AT style Pentium
Mouse: Logitech MouseMan and IBM MouseMan+ clone

   When I attempt to initialize either X or moused on /dev/psm0 I get "device
not configured".  Looking in /var/log/messages shows me the last time that
it worked successfully, two days ago.  I checked all the cabling and it is all
secure and plugged in.  The PS/2 Mouse function is enabled in the kernel as
well.  It's as if the computer just forgot it has a mouse.
   Any pointers as to where to look?  I checked the kernel config (kernel -c
on boot) and it showed psm0 on irq12, just like the BIOS had it.  As far as I
can tell, this mouse should be working just fine, it just isn't...

Thanks a bunch,
Mark

Mark Szlaga      mszlaga@szlaga.net      http://www.szlaga.net/~mszlaga/
/dev/hdb5 - 0.5Gb of spinning metal, all alone in the night...
- unknown - alt.sysadmin.recovery
/dev/hdb5 - our last best hope for free space...
- Chip Salzenberg - <chip@pobox.com>