Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:13:48 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Sean Reilly <sreilly@seanreilly.com>
Cc:        Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Swing with Java and Netscape

> > Also, I don't know what (if anything) I'll have to do to get
> > Netscape 4.6 to handle swing.
>
> Shouldn't have to do anything, although having the swingall.jar file in
> your classpath will probably really speed up download times for applets
> that use swing.

Yep.

> Running swing applets isn't very efficient at this point since none of
> the browsers that I know of support java 1.2 yet.

Even so, Swing applets (or applications for that matter) run faster with
JDK1.1 than they do in JDK1.2, for a variety of reasons.  JDK1.1 + Swing
is significantly faster than JDK1.2 + Swing (assuming you're using the
correct version for each side else it won't work).

JDK1.2 added a number of 'extensions' to both the language and Swing
components that cause it to be much slower.  Yes, JIT's will speed this
up, but assuming you have a JIT in 1.1 and in 1.2, the 1.1 system will
be measurable faster.

Nate