Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 11:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Directories disappearing with CVSUP, -stable, and SOFTUPDATE

Nik Clayton wrote:

> [ cc'd to JDP, as it might be a CVSup problem ]

Thanks!  If I don't hear about them, I can't fix them.

> I was just in the middle of a CVSup.  I keep a checked out copy of
> /usr/ports around, but keep local copies of the repositories for
> everything else.

So you're using CVSup's checkout mode for /usr/ports?  Please mail me
a copy of your cvsupfile so I can be sure to have all the facts.

> On my host, /usr/ports is (or rather, was) a symlink to /local/1/usr.ports.
>     Edit ports/net/pavuk/files/md5
>      Add delta 1.5 99.05.06.14.04.39 flathill
>     Edit ports/print/tr2latex/Makefile
>      Add delta 1.11 99.05.06.10.21.25 tg
>     Edit ports/print/tr2latex/files/md5
>      Add delta 1.5 99.05.06.10.21.29 tg
>     Edit ports/security/identify/Makefile
>      Add delta 1.4 99.05.05.20.06.51 billf
>     Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/Makefile
>     Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/files/md5
>     Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/pkg/COMMENT
>     Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/pkg/DESCR
>     Delete ports/sysutil/ffsrecov/pkg/PLIST
>     Edit ports/sysutils/Makefile
>     Updater failed: ports/sysutils/Makefile: Cannot open: \
>       No such file or directory
>
> and has stopped.
>
> On investigation, /usr/ports has been removed.  /local/1/usr.ports no
> longer exists, and the /usr/ports symlink has been replaced with a real
> directory, containing sysutils/#cvs.cvsup-10375.288, which is an
> empty file.

Just a few days ago I received a similar report.  I suspect it is
an actual problem either in CVSup or in the FreeBSD.ORG server
configuration.  But I haven't yet had time to try to reproduce it.
What the two reports have in common is that the top-level directory of
the affected tree is a symlink.  The other person said that it works
almost all the time, but occasionally his cvsup process removes the
symlink and creates a real directory in its place.  He conjectured
that it might be triggered when a new top-level subdirectory (like
"/usr/ports/sysutil") gets added to the repository.  That sounds like
a plausible guess to me, but as I said, I haven't dug into it yet
personally.

I find it hard to believe that it removed your entire
/local/1/usr.ports tree, though.  The other person said it removed the
symlink, but the existing tree remained.  CVSup emits a message for
every file and directory it deletes; surely you would have seen a lot
of such messages if it had deleted your whole tree.  Could you please
take another look for it?

I will dig into this as soon as I can, but it is going to be a week or
more before I get to it.  I'm swamped in my job at the moment, plus I
have travel coming up.  Meanwhile, if anybody can figure out how to
reproduce the problem reliably, it will be a big help to me.

As a work-around, do this.  Put your real tree in "/local/1/ports",
and in your cvsupfile specify "prefix=/local/1" for the ports
collection(s).  Then make your symlink "/usr/ports -> /local/1/ports".
That way, CVSup won't see the symlink at all, so it won't be able to
get confused by it.

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong