Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 1994 02:04:51 GMT
From:      Charlie Root <root@gilbertr.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

subject: 2.0 REL installation

A couple of days ago I wrote:

>I moved my 0.5 gig to drive zero; disconnected the other hard drive.
(couldn't boot off second drive)

It finally dawned on me that hd(1,a)/kernel actually means
wd(1,a)/kernel (cf. troubleshooting). Red face and conical hat time.
Boots fine off second drive when you type the correct words.

>The installation program then worked great! (Hung once or twice
>during ftp, though).
>  Now that FreeBSD is installed, a couple of big problems have appeared:
>1. I can receive mail, but can't send it.
>2. When I chmod +x executables imported via ftp that weren't part of the
>installation (e.g., mtools), FreeBSD-2.0 complains "command mdir not found
>"(for example).

Mail works, but differently than before.  Regarding question 2, I (fortuitously)
messed up the path in /etc/csh.login while installing X11R6 and found that all /sbin
commands went unrecognized also.  Moral: FreeBSD-2.0 does not recognize executables
unless a /uvw/xyz/.../bin path is specified in csh and the file is there *before*
login.  Perhaps one may override this?

So far 2.0 looks fantastic !!!  I can easily mount filesystems (bsd, msdos) from all
drives, cdrom included. Packages are great too !!!

Thanks,
Bob Gilbert   GILBERTR@wpn.npt.nuwc.navy.mil
and sometimes  root@gilbertr.npt.nuwc.navy.mil