Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:07:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newer gcc?

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Phillip Salzman wrote:

> > Has there been any thought to jumping to a newer version of gcc,
> > specifically egcs?
>
> 	Doesn't egcs require an ELF filetype?  Currently many people
> are still a.out.  I'm sure it will change in the future.

Well i only brought this up again for 2 reasons, as i know it has been
discussed to death in the past, however with the move to ELF and perl5 i
thought... what the hell :)

Anyhow:

a) egcs is a bit more improved than gcc in terms of c++ support, and more
features/optimizations.

b) i thought the move to elf was so that we _could_ better use the newer
GNU tools.

The reason i was asking is that i may bmake it and stick it into my tree,
if i can produce a "release" build using it maybe people would show more
interest.

-Alfred