Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 01:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solaris is free.

Perhaps better taken to -chat?

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <199808120437.XAA12411@unix.tfs.net> Jim Bryant writes:
> : sun, the day before yesterday has made solaris for both x86 and sparc
> : free [shipping and handling like $10], for personal use.
>
> Is it personal use or educational use?  My reading of the pages
> earlier in the week suggested the latter.

Both.

Universities can get site license for educational stuff, users can get
free copies for "non-commercial" stuff.

The license terms for the non-commercial use are at:

	http://www.sun.com/developers/promoterms.html

The relevant part:

    1. License to Use. Sun grants to you a non-exclusive and
    non-transferable license to use the accompanying software and
    documentation and any error corrections provided by Sun (collectively
    "Software") for non-commercial purposes only. "Non-commercial" means
    personal and not use for commercial gain or in connection with business
    operations (such as MIS or other internal business systems).

Note that this is only free in the sense that you can buy it
for a low cost from Sun.

You don't get source.

You don't get the ability to give copies to other people.