Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 04:22:34 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        Patrick O'Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: documentation for loader.conf variables?

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Patrick O'Reilly writes:
>
>>>Are the kernel override variables that can go into /boot/loader.conf
>>>listed and/or documented somewhere?
>>>
>>>I'm talking about things like:
>>>
>>>	hw.ata.wc="0"
>>>	kern.hz="1000"
>>
>>these variable relate to "sysctl".  man sysctl for more info.  sysctl
>>-a will list them all, though it does not explain what each one means.
>

> You are correct that they relate to sysctl but they are
> not the same thing.. e.g., 'kern.hz' in loader.conf becomes
> 'kern.clockrate.hz' in sysctl, i.e., it's not a 1:1 correspondence.
>
> Since they're not the same somewhere they ought to be documented...
> though I'm getting the feeling they're not :-)

Actually, they are :-)

Have a look in /boot/defaults/loader.conf which contains the defaults
and descriptions for all the possible variables you can change.

Your /boot/loader.conf overrides /boot/defaults/loader.conf in the same
way that your /etc/rc.conf overrides your /etc/defaults/rc.conf

Andrew.