Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:57:23 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@bitfrost.no>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Should CUSE4BSD move to the FreeBSD source tree?

On 29 December 2013 09:15, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@bitfrost.no> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The CUSE4BSD, character device in userspace, library and kernel module, has
> become an extremely popular driver choice for supporting a whole lot of USB
> devices under FreeBSD.

In my opinion it's a similar case to fuse, which moved from ports to
src in 2012.  If a kernel module is going to be kept up to date and
doesn't have to be a port (e.g. for license reasons) I think it ought
to go in src/sys.

> Of course this puts more
> restrictions on the API, and CUSE4BSD sometime has API additions. Also that
> might mean that CUSE4BSD will go through some API changes, as input from
> other FreeBSD developers. One change might be to change lengths from "int"
> to "ssize_t" although, it is very unlikely to read more than a few megabytes
> at a time from a character device.

Well, hopefully that can be resolved before an import, but certainly
before being enabled by default and considered a standard feature.  In
any case as additional consumers start to depend on it API changes
will be an issue regardless of where it's located.

How does the API compare to Linux cuse?

> Some other questions are: Where should CUSE4BSD reside in svn? Should it
> have it's own vendor branch or simply just @ head + MFC to xxx-stable?

I suspect the effort of a vendor branch and sys/contrib/ magic doesn't
make sense, unless you expect you'd continue maintaining an upstream
repository with significant non-FreeBSD development.

-Ed