Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:10:11 +0100
From:      Ruben de Groot <mail25@bzerk.org>
To:        Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
Cc:        iaccounts@northnetworks.ca
Subject:   Re: running freebsd with sendmail and qpopper

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 07:07:59PM -0500, Marty Landman typed:
> I've given this another try and got much further albeit w/o visible
> success. Here are my notes interleaved in your instructions.
>
> At 09:53 PM 12/3/2003, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
> >assume the following:
> >
> >- your domain name is example.com
>
> Newbie that I am not certain that my understanding of this is correct. My
> /etc/rc.conf file has
>
> hostname="SwamiSalami.face2interface.domain"
>
> so this is my fqdn, right? And my domain name is face2interface.domain?
> That's the way I set up things.

And there's your problem. "face2interface.domain" does not resolve in DNS,
so most if not all other mail servers on the internet will refuse to
accept email from it. You can either set your hostname to something that
does resolve, or configure sendmail to masquerade as something that
resolves.
You can read more about configuring sendmail in the file
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README

Ruben