Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:48:50 -0800
From:      Flemming =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=F8kjk=E6r?= <flemming@froekjaer.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Client for IMAP

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> >Tim Erlin wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking for a mail client that runs happily of
> >>FreeBSD with Windomaker and supports IMAP. I need to
> >>be able to create nested folders for storing mail
> >>locally, rules for sorting mail pulled from the
> >>server, and an address book component. Favorites?
> >>
> >Why do you want to store mail localy? That defeates the purpos of IMAP.
>
> No it doesen't.  IMAP permits access from multiple clients as well as
> offering storage services.  He is a lot better off with using an IMAP
> client locally because he may wish at some point to remotely access all
> of his mail, even if only for an hour or so, and IMAP gives him the
> same mail access he gets locally.

Maybe we have different definitions of locally. To me locally means that he is
creating the mail folder on his mail client's hard drive, and remotely means
that he is creating the mail folder on the IMAP server.
The later makes a lot of sense, because as you suggest he can get to it again
from other clients. That's what I do on my mail server, and I really enjoy to be
able to see the same mail folders and the same filter when I use my web mail, as
I do when I use netscape from Windows or FreeBSD.

\Flemming