Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 14:05:06 -0400
From:      "jericho" <jerichow@commons.aim-smart.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   adding freebsd to nt server/win98 dual boot

i want to add freebsd to my existing dual boot system which is setup like
this -

                                Total    free
C: (windows and boot partition) 1.67gb  646mb |Primary
D: (applications)               1.99gb  1.25gb|    Seagate 6.5GB disk
E: (swap file and page file)    1.04gb  524mb |
F: (files)                      1.32gb  1.04gb|

G: (NT server)                  1.96gb  944mb |Primary    IBM 2.1GB disk

basically I'll have to reinstall winnt if I install FreeBSD to my G: drive
right? I just thought of something- IF I make a new extended partition with
the free space from the F: partition using Partition Magic - the new
partition will become G: then and my NT registry entriest wont be fouled-
BUT will NTLoadr be able to find the NT files since the actual physical
location on the specific device has changed?? and will the fact NT isnt on a
primary partition affect its functioning? If I install FREEBSD to the G:
drive will FFS control all partitions on that drive? or could I still be
able to make additional partitions on it?  Anyone ever had a similar
situation?
I downloaded the FREEBSD 2.27 directory from a ftp site as binaries instead
of ascii - but I could not download the tools and packages files- will that
foul my installation? how can i get those files? i have a winmodem so i wont
be able to connect to the internet during the install- will i be alright
without those files?

I know some of the questions deal with nt rather than bsd- im just trying to
avoid a complete reinstallation of all the programs and NT itself as well as
the patches and service packs and hardware configurations -its a pain and I
probably will have my hands filled learning bsd.  Thanks for any answers you
can help me out with.

T Freeman