Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:29:13 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        glenn@raggedclown.net
Subject:   Re: Direct rendering in X V4.1

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:17:13PM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:45:15AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>
> > Thanks Glenn for the tip, I have only just found the moment to try it
> > out.  Sadly it doesn't seem to work, at least on 4.5-RC, which I am
> > now running. When the mga module loads it complains:
> >
> > link-elf: symbol agp_get_info undefined
> >
> > in the system messages file.
> >
> > Seems to be something to do with "agpgart" from the look of startup
> > messages when the module is loaded.
> >
> > kldstat, shows the module loaded despite the above error.  But direct
> > rendering still fails to start.
> >
> > Which version of the O/S are you on btw ? If it is now failing in 4.5
> > then maybe I should think about a PR.  Unless I am missing something
> > else out.
> >
> > Oh and the kernel panics if you reverse the order of loading
> > agp/mga...
>
> I do not know if it matters but I load the agp module at boot time via
> the /boot/loader.conf file.  The mga module gets loaded from the startup
> script that came with the drm-kmod port.  I have had this running on
> FreeBSD -stable for some time now and I am currently running on 4.5-RC.
> My card is different from yours (older) so maybe the card is not being
> recognized by the module appropriately.

Mmm. Well I forcibly told it what card it was in the XF86Config, but I
think that is not the problem. G450's are often seen as G400's but with
a different id. I will try and do it exactly the way you do (I thought I
was, but will check).
The manual page on agp/agpgart has no mention of Matrox chipsets in it.
And I do have a /dev/agpgart. On the other hand it may be that the agp
module is too old...I wonder if I ought to ask on kernel-hackers ?
I recall I had this problem on Linux before I started using the very
latest release of XFree86-4.

OT ....

Mmmm.
This is part of the slow process of moving my main working environment
from a Linux based one to a FreeBSD one, I am having troubles with
differing behaviour of KDE/Gnome as well..but that is a topic for
another post :). KDE seems capable of inducing kernel panics, but I
am not able to create a reproducible scenario for when it does this.

Also Xscreensaver is broken :(.

OT end ....

--
Regards