Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 21:04:17 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repository copy request: (part of) ports/net -> ports/www

 * I decided to get lazy and write a script for the "special case" of the
 * non-tagged ports heirachy.  Boy, am I glad Satoshi slapped me back to my
 * senses when I suggested he branch the 2.1 tree rather than freeze..

Yeah, it's the very nature of the ports tree that things move around a
lot...we often discover what we did was not a good idea, new
categories are born from overflowing parents, etc....

 * BTW, I dont know how much of an issue it is to have a permanently
 * buildable ports tree, but I can move rather than copy the files all in
 * the same step.  This would leave the SUBDIR tree broken....

Well, that's not much of a problem, it's not as important to have a
buildable ports tree as the src tree (and that thing is often broken
too :p).

I thought the reason was more in the line of two people having to make
a mistake to screw up the tree (which I didn't really understand
anyway).  Assuming it won't break anything for people who have things
checked out (and I don't think it will), I think we can do it that way
next time.

The Gunslinger