Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:07:45 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, Shteryana Shopova <syrinx@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting OpenBSD's sysctl hw.sensors framework to FreeBSD

Constantine A. Murenin wrote this message on Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 20:13 -0400:
> If you want to have no such framework that could potentially diagnose or
> predict system failure, it's your choice, and I'm not going to argue
> against it. However, there are many people who desire to have this
> feature in an operating system, and these people include FreeBSD users
> and developers.

No one is saying that we don't want a framekwork to provide this
information...  We want to put the framework in the proper place that
will be the most maintainable, testable and extensible location possible:
userland...  A single bug in the kernel framework and associated drivers
could take the entire system down...  The worse a userland app can do
is core dump...

Having recently written an HDTV driver...  It was a god-send to have
the tuner logic and related items in userland, and only use the kernel
part as a bit mover..  It made testing very quick, and will enable
people to develope additional tuners w/o having to go through crashing
their machine as they load/unload drivers that contain bugs..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579