Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 18:22:13 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@aciri.org>
To:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>, Gerhard Gonter <gonter@whisky.wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: " S/PDIF output? "

In message <01fa01c0e4b7$5f74eba0$0504020a@haveblue>,Cameron Grant writes:
> > >as the driver author, no.  i only have a 4dwave dx, and have been
> informed
> > >that the nx does not work correctly.
> >
> > Ok.  What other sound cards offer S/PDIF digital out, and are known to
> > work in FreeBSD?
>
> none.  the emu10k1, ymf744 and cs4630 cards have spdif out but it is not
> supported yet.  i've only recently bought a device with spdif input
> (logitech xtrusio dsr100 speakers, highly recommended) and simply haven't
> had the time to investigate it yet.  it is probable that it will be
> supported on the emu10k1 in -current at some point after the next round of
> major changes.  i don't believe any of the other cards in my collection have
> both spdif output and documentation on how to enable it.

CMI8x38 cards may work with SPDIF.  Gerhard Gonter supplied a patch
that got incorporated.  There was some re-working during glitch
blatting (not related to patch but with impact on SPDIF code).  Not
tested here either of blatting - err("no hardware" :-)

I've cc'd this to Gerhard in case he's played with the driver since
release and can state whether it works...

Cheers
- Orion