Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:35:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        yar@FreeBSD.ORG (Yar Tikhiy)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: finger/fingerd & home directory permissions

Lo and behold, Yar Tikhiy once said:

> In the case of local access, it's no problem, since anyone may read
> /etc/passwd directly. OTOH, letting remote folks peek at user
> information even if the user wants to hide himself is a bad thing.
>
> The issue I'd like to submit to discussion is what way to choose:
>
> a) Add a command-line option to finger(1) and fingerd(8) telling
>    them not to reveal user information if the user's homedir is
>    protected.
>
> b) Similar to a), but hide such users by default.
>
> c) Don't bother at all :-)
>
> Personally, I'd prefer b) since it's most secure and seems to break
> nothing. Do I overlook any complications?

  Yes - it breaks the semantics of the existing fingerds that
people are used to.  It's a gratuitious change with little benefit
that would simply confuse people who have a reasonable expectation
about what the default behavior of 'finger' should be.  Don't do (b).

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/