Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 1995 05:42:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.org, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: scsi(1) and WORM drives..

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > Ship it here and I'll send it back working...
>
> Ack!  If only I could - these babies ain't cheap, and we use ours
> *constantly*.  With or without having to use DOS, this writer is
> pretty critical to us.  We have a new quad-speed burner that really
> hasn't come up to snuff yet and maybe we can do something with it, but
> the main Phillips unit is our Old Trusty and we'd be hosed without it.
>
> > You can't do this, though it may make sense to change the unknown driver
> > to support read and write translating over to regular read and write.
> > That should work for both processor type and WORM devices.
>
> That would be nice..  Hint hint.. :)

Yes, but see Julian's comments.  I had thought of this and pondered
maybe registering the type of write to perform via an ioctl.

> > This should send 512 bytes of data read from stdin to block 17:
> >
> > scsi -f /dev/uk0 -c "2A 0 i4 0 i2 0" 17 -o 512 -
>
> Hmmmmmm.  Would this work for a really LARGE count?  I shall try this
> when I get in to work!

Well, actually this won't work at all, since I didn't supply the block
count.  Try this instead:

scsi -f /dev/uk0 -c "2A 0 i4 0 i2 0" 17 1 -o 512 -

The "17" is the logical block address to write, the "1" is the number of
contiguous blocks to try to transfer, and the "512" is the amount of data
to transfer.  You need to see what your real block size is and so on -
I'm just guessing it is 512 (I think it is usually 2048 for CDROMS?).

To transfer 4 MB of data (assumes 512 byte blocks) to LBA 360:

scsi -f /dev/uk0 -c "2A 0 i4 0 i2 0" 360 8196 -o 4194304 -

I'd say the odds are 50% you'll get the "not responding" message from the
host adapter.

Good luck (If this is part of your production you probably really want an
integrated solution and not this band aid)

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936