Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF transition for ports

 * What is wrong with doing as some oports do when they natively detect ELF,
 * namely:
 *
 * lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       13 Sep 16 10:56 libICE.so@ -> libICE.so.6.3
 * lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       13 Sep 16 10:56 libICE.so.6@ -> libICE.so.6.3
 * -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    79424 Sep 16 10:56 libICE.so.6.3*

The minor number is useless, since it is ignored by ELF.

 * It worries me that if there is a rapidly-changing port somewhere which
 * likes to bump its' minor version number, that before long we'll find
 * ourselves using libfoo.so.28 for libfoo.so.1.27. Is there something I've
 * missed about why the above cannot work?

Yes.  Say libfoo.so.1 is a link to libfoo.so.1.26.  If libfoo.so.1.27
is really an upwards compatible (but not downwards compatible) upgrade
of libfoo.so.1.26, then the version number *should* be bumped.  And
since ELF only sees "libfoo.so.1", the only way to bump it is
"libfoo.so.2".

Otherwise, if someone installs a binary compiled against
libfoo.so.1.27 on a system with libfoo.so.1.26, there will be no error
detection until the binary crashes during runtime.  (Which is exactly
the situation we were trying to avoid by using shared library version
numbers in the first place.)

People, please give us a break here.  We've been working with shared
libraries for years now, and know exactly what we're doing.  We can't
get anything done if we have to keep explaining this to everyone!

Satoshi