Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 03:58:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        ccd@forgery.cs.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   ccd results?

Has anyone tried the ccd kit?  I see that many people got it (and
grabbed kp-0.95 too while you were here :) but haven't heard much
about how it's working.

For us, we put together a modest (5 x 2GB DEC RZ28) system and started
using it as an NFS server.

Nothing has changed in the FreeBSD ccd driver lately.  I recommend
moving ccdcontrol to /sbin though, that way you can run it from
/etc/rc before mounting local filesystems and use it just like a
regular disk.

By the way, we found that some of the Adaptec 2940UW's don't seem to
work well with striped disks.  Look at your card with the external
connector to your left, and if the small chip on your right says "Rev.
A", that's the one we're having troubles with.

We can't get more than 7MB/s no matter how many Wide-SCSI disks we
connect to them.  The ones that say "Rev. B" are ok, i.e., we can get
around 13MB/s for reads.  If someone else can verify this, it is most
appreciated.

Satoshi