Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 12:26:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        brian william wolter <bwolter@linux.thesadmachine.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: FHS 2.1 (Was: Install Directory)

brian william wolter <bwolter@linux.thesadmachine.org> types:
> according to the Filesystems Hierarchy Standard 1 (FHS) Version 2.1
> /sbin, /bin, and /usr are reserved for the base OS and it's dependant
> packages.  more or less essential packages are to be built and installed
> in /usr/local/bin.  non-essential applications and add-ons are to be
> installed in /opt/<package>/ (with binaries in /opt/<package>/bin).
>
> and technically you're supposed to create a seperate disk partition for
> /opt.

I can't find *any* of that in FHS 2.1. By my reading, /usr/local is
reserved "for use by the system administrator when installing software
locally." /opt is for "Add-on application software packages", with no
mention of "essential" at all. Nor do I see anything about needing to
put these things on a separate partition. In fact, the definition of
"essential" implied by section 3.1 is "commands ... which are required
when no other file systems are mounted", which would seem to make /opt
having essential things and being on another disk partition
mutually exclusive propositions. Perhaps you could let me know which
parts led you to those conclusions?

While on the topic, I note that the FreeBSD package system fails to
comply with the FHS by putting packages in /usr/local instead of
/opt.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.