Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 2003 14:11:34 -0700
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Kit Mitchell <kit@hypostasis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad A31p recovery Partition

kit@hypostasis.com said:
>Having just installed 4.8-RELEASE on the [Thinkpad A31p] above, like
>an idiot I re-wrote the MBR with the FreeBSD boot manager.  Is there
>a way of accessing the thinkpad recovery slice to drop XP back on
>the slice I've left for it?

My advice would be to follow another path completely.

For the X21 NASA bought me and for two T23s I've bought myself, I called IBM
support and asked for a recovery CD set.  Each time, they sent a free pair of
CDs and an instruction booklet.

If you want to partition your disk differently, or if (as with NASA's X21) a
dual-boot configuration makes disk space precious, I see no reason to waste a
slice (a.k.a., partition) and its space on immovable recovery data.  A
hibernation slice makes much more sense.  Now I have a FreeBSD slice, a
hibernation slice, a Windows slice, and (on the machine that uses NTFS for
Windows) a FAT32 slice to be able to write from FreeBSD to Windows.  That's
all four slices giving value, and none wasted on recovery.

Also, if You're depending upon a recovery slice and your disk crashes, You are
forced to buy the replacement disk from IBM.  They make good disks, but nobody
has ever accused IBM of being the low cost provider.

Call IBM and get CDs.
--
M/S 258-5                    |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center    | 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416