Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:54:16 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        papowell@astart.com, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

In message <3958D9DC.DA75504E@gorean.org> Doug Barton writes:
: 	A point which I readily concede. My question is, should we be working
: to make it more free, or adding more software that makes it less free?

You have this point.

: 	This is where you lose me. I haven't seen this need demonstrated. Au
: contraire, I have seen many people say that the current lp* is good
: enough for them, or easily adaptable to their specific needs through the
: ports. In all my years of working with freebsd, including using it as a
: desktop at home I've not spent even 10 hours worrying about lpd. I've
: installed apsfilter at home, and added the jet direct card to the
: printcap at work.... voila.

I've spent about 50 hours looking at relatively simple patches to
lpr/lpd to make sure they had no security implications.  Turns out
they did and it wasn't obvious at first.  I guess that's my motivator.

: 	I can't comment authoritatively on this, except to say that we do have
: volunteers willing (and apparently able) to hack on what we have. I
: would like to see them have the opportunity.

Yes.  And 3/4 of the tmie I get patches, I have to reject them because
they introduce an inintended side effect that generally has security
implications.

: 	You have left out the philosophical point. I think it's obvious that
: you don't see that as important (or important enough), but there are
: some of us who do. Perhaps in the end that's not enough of a reason to
: keep it out. I just personally feel that this would be a move in the
: wrong direction.

I actually had missed that point in my zeal.  The new license will
present a problem for those people that want to enahce the default
print system of FreeBSD, which goes against the grain of what we try
to do.

It likely would be best to table the license issue and revisit it if
there's an overwhleming technical reason to include lprng.

Warner