Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:32:35 -0600
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        philip@adhesivemedia.com, "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SAMBA: (browseable = Yes) not for everyone

On 06/01/2001 2:22:16 PM, Philip Hallstrom is quoted as saying:

. . . .|You might try the "valid users" option to control who can
. . . .|login... it doesn't hide the share, but it would hide the contents...
. . . .|

	Not sure about win9x, but if you create a share called

share$ [with a '$' at the end] it will not show up when you
browse the network. [at least on NT]

You would have to manually map/browse it by
\\server\share$

this helps hide it some more, you also you can force
the users to have another special password to browse this share
and once per their windows session [or after timeout], they
would have to re-enter in user name / password.

sorry, I know the theory but kinda foggy with the
exact tech details as I've done this only once on my
home server.

.
www.nul.cjb.net
www.FreeBSD.org