Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:21:00 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        kato@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hw.machine on PC98

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 11:36:30PM +0900, Takahashi Yoshihiro wrote:
> In article <20011214173056.A94075@sunbay.com>
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
> > What do you think about making hw.machine display "pc98"
> > on PC98's?
>
> *I* think that hw.machine should be "pc98" on PC-98.
>
> But, *even if* we change hw.machine for PC-98, we MUST implement '-p'
> option for uname(1) and use it instead of '-m' before change
> hw.machine.

uname -m should print the value of hw.machine
uname -p should print the value of hw.machine_arch

This corresponds to the code in NetBSD.

> And then, there is an opinion that hw.machie for IBM PC/AT should be
> also changed to the other one (ex. x86pc). 'i386' does not represent
> IBM PC/AT architecture, but represent CPU architecture.
>
> Do you think about this?

I don't think we should be SysV compatible here; my UnixWare box
prints i386 for -m and x86at for -p.  I don't like it.

> And, NetBSD/pc98 guys started on merging pc98 support to main tree. I
> heard that the machine name for NetBSD/i386 is changed (x86pc?) when
> NetBSD/pc98 is merged to main tree. If so, it is a convenience that
> both FreeBSD and NetBSD use the same machine name.

Last time I checked (about a half year ago), NetBSD had PC98 as
i386/i386.  Would be interesting to know if that has changed.

I will probably add the -p option handling, if nobody beats me to it.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,