Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:26:40 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Riccardo Giuntoli <taglio@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD pam.d proftpd problem

On Sunday 11 November 2007, Riccardo Giuntoli said:
> Hi there,
>
> i use proftpd as my ftp solution in other three production servers
> with no problem. Last week we buy out fourth server, and i started
> to install and configure FreeBSD as usual. After upgrade the
> sources and the ports i've got:
>
> [taglio@tsunami]/home/taglio(106): uname -a
> FreeBSD tsunami.chroot.eu 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0:
> Fri Nov  9 12:15:54 EST 2007
> taglio@tsunami.chroot.eu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TSUNAMI  i386
> [taglio@tsunami ]/home/taglio(107):
>
> And i've installed proftpd:
>
> [taglio@tsunami]/home/taglio(107): proftpd -v
>  - ProFTPD Version 1.3.1
> [taglio@tsunami]/home/taglio(108):
>
> For an initial simple configuration with no vhosts i've edited
> /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf like this:
>
> [taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(110): cat proftpd.conf
> ServerName                      "Chroot tsunami hosting"
> ServerType                      standalone
> DefaultServer                   on
> ScoreboardFile                  /var/run/proftpd.scoreboard
> Port                            21
> Umask                           022
> MaxInstances                    30
> User                            nobody
> Group                           nogroup
> DefaultRoot ~/www
> AllowOverwrite          on
> <Limit SITE_CHMOD>
>   DenyAll
> </Limit>
> TimeoutIdle 0
> TimeoutLinger 0
> TimeoutLogin 0
> TimeoutNoTransfer 0
> TimeoutSession 0
> TimeoutStalled 0
> [taglio@tsunami ]/usr/local/etc(111):
>
> and in /etc/pam.d/ftpd i've got this:
>
> [taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(111): cat /etc/pam.d/ftpd
> ftpd auth    required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
> ftpd account required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
> ftpd session required    pam_permit.so
> [taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(112):
>
> After checking syntax and have started the proftpd daemon i've got
> this problem :
>
> [taglio@tsunami]/usr/local/etc(112): ftp localhost
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.chroot.eu.
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
> ftp>
>
> That i've got also on external interfaces.
>
> Can someone help me with some ideas?
>
> Thank you in advance, best regards, Riccardo Giuntoli

Have you checked the following?

FreeBSD
-------

To use PAM with ProFTPD, you must edit /etc/pam.conf and add the
following lines (if they are not already present):

  ftpd auth    required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
  ftpd account required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
  ftpd session required    pam_permit.so

In your proftpd.conf, you'll need to set AuthPAMConfig to 'ftpd'.  PAM
authentication should now work properly.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html