Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:07:33 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing port over old apache

Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th> types:
> I'm trying to upgrade a machine that apparently started with an
> installation of RELEASE-3.2 from CD and has been upgraded by cvsup ever
> since. Everything is up-to-date and running 4.4-STABLE and I've updated all
> the ports I've installed by running pkg_version -c > needs.update, then
> editing and running the file. When I came to look over apache, though, I
> discovered that I've got the old apache 1.3.6, where the demon was named
> apache, not httpd, and the configuration files are different. I'd like to
> upgrade to the current port, which I think is 1.3.20, but before I do I'd
> like to totally expunge the old server, all its files and directories. I
> don't believe installing the port will do this, because the old daemon was
> installed as a package with sysinstall, not as a port. I don't have a
> CD-ROM on this machine, either, and don't remember how the install was done
> -- it might even have been done over the net from a boot floppy.
>
> Can someone suggest a good way to go about getting rid of the old server?

Use pkg_delete on the old version. Pay attention to error messages
about not being able to delete things - probably non-empty directories
- and deal with them by hand.

Installing a port - or a package - never deletes old files, though it
may overwrite them.

Packages are just a precompiled form of ports. The "make deinstall"
target on a port does a pkg_delete, then removes the install cookie
from the port. "pkg_version -c" produces a script that cleans the port
to make sure that cookie - among other things - is gone as well as
using pkg_delete.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.