Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 00:42:46 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        ipthomas_77@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/lpt0 is always busy

As it was put forth by User & Ian Patrick Thomas on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:13:24PM -0400...
> 	I did this
>
> 	lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpctl0
>
> 	and this time it did not give an error message, but I am still getting
> the busy signal when I try to run the lptest.  I am going to try and recompile
> a kernel with the lpt0 set without an IRQ and see if this makes a difference.
> I'll also try the rc.conf route.  Thanks for the help.
>
> Ian
>
> As it was put forth by parv on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:22:26PM -0400...
> > on Jul 18 19:11, i got this from User...
> > > 	I have never attempted to get a printer working
> > > on FreeBSD until now so excuse my very limited knowledge.
> > > I just obtained an HP LaserJet IIP and after attempting the
> > > printer test as described in the handbook
> > >
> > > lptest > /dev/lpt0
> > >
> > > 	I get
> > >
> > > /dev/lpt0: Device busy.
> > >
> > > 	After trying to change the Printer to polling mode using
> > > lptcontrol -p, I get
> > >
> > > lptcontrol: open: Device busy
> >

> > i don't know why lptest would give you a busy msg, but to put lpt in
> > polling mode you need to do...
> >
> > # lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpctl0
> >
> > ...at least that's what i had to do after making kernel w/ updated
> > source tree as of jun 24, 2001.  lptcontrol didn't complain w/ old
> > sources (don't remember the date) though.
> >
> > see man page for lptcontrol.

	After recompiling the kernel with the printer set up to boot in polled
mode and enabling debugging here is what dmesg has to say

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
out=55  in=55   tout=10000
out=aa  in=aa   tout=10000
out=fe  in=fe   tout=10000
out=fd  in=fd   tout=10000
out=fb  in=fb   tout=10000
out=f7  in=f7   tout=10000
out=ef  in=ef   tout=10000
out=df  in=df   tout=10000
out=bf  in=bf   tout=10000
out=7f  in=7f   tout=10000
out=1   in=1    tout=10000
out=2   in=2    tout=10000
out=4   in=4    tout=10000
out=8   in=8    tout=10000
out=10  in=10   tout=10000
out=20  in=20   tout=10000
out=40  in=40   tout=10000
out=80  in=80   tout=10000
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
oldirq 0
lpt0: Polled port
irq 0 0

	After doing

lpc status lpt0

	I get the following

unknown printer lpt0

	which makes sense because I havn't put anything in /etc/printcap other
than what is in there as default.  The FreeBSD online handbook says that
unless the printer is a PostScript language printer, mine isn't, then the
following test should work

lptest > /dev/lpt0

	It doesn't and the device is supposedly busy doing nothing.  The cord
is hooked up correctly and the little lcd display says 00 Ready.  This is
an old HP LaserJet IIP so it should use PCL.  Is there anything else I can
try to get more info for troubleshooting or should I go and get a different
printer?  If so, what are Printers that work with BSD that don't cost to
much(under $300, or $200 if possible)?

Ian