Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:57:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Sean Countryman <sean@rackoperations.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount a Sony Memory stick

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 09:31:03PM -0600, Sean Countryman wrote:
> I'm trying to mount a 64MB Sony memory stick via a USB cable and need a
> bit of help.
>=20
> I recompiled my kernel and upgraded to 4.8 RELEASE and now, if I boot
> with the camera connected, it finds it as a SCSI device, but it
> conflicts with my da0 device which has my / partition on it.
>=20
> I've got 4 SCSI disks already installed (devices da0 thru da3), and
> there is not a da4 in the /dev directory.
>=20
> All I'd like is to be able to plug the camera in without rebooting and
> be able to manually mount it, grab the photos, unmount it, and remove
> it.

You need to do two things: first of all, build yourself a custom
kernel with your boot drive da0, and any other fixed disks you mount
partitions from wired down -- that means the device will always appear
at a fixed bus, target and LUN whenever you reboot.  See the section
on 'SCSI DEVICE CONFIGURATION' in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT

Secondly, create the device nodes you need --- you get da0, da1, da2
and da3 by default.  You need to run:

    # cd /dev
    # ./MAKEDEV da4

This should create /dev/da4, /dev/da4s1, /dev/da4s1a ... /dev/da4s1h
amongst others.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20