Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 07:48:48 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Alexey Lukin <al@cn.ua>
Cc:        ada@bsd.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in embeded systems?

At 6:45 AM -0500 5/17/98, Alexey Lukin wrote:
>Well, yet another little silly thing - fsck on real filesystem. It may
>wait for maintainer forever :-)

What is there to fsck? Rip it out.

>Yet another problem with FreeBSD in embeded systems: gziped kernel and
>binaries are not supported as standard feature. Well, it's not a big deal, but
>flash chips are expensive yet.

?? If you want to use gziped binaries, all you need do is include the option
in the kernel. However, this is a bad option for the general system.
In the case of an embedded system, you must balance the cost of extra ram
to hold the executing code against the cost of your storage mechanism.

I think that, in general, an embedded system will have everything "crunched"
into one big binary and statically loaded in the kernel's mfs.
This might not be true if you have a large number of occasionally used large
utilities that are scheduled on a non-overlapping basis.

>OK, guys, is all this stuff worth of discussion at least? :-)
>
>Any comments?

Some of us are doing it....

Richard Wackerbarth