Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 02:12:35 +0530
From:      "Debarshi Ray" <debarshi.ray@gmail.com>
To:        "Mikhail Gorbulev" <alcazoid@gmail.com>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, FreeBSD networking and TCP/IP list <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [X-POST] Anyone porting NetworkManager to FreeBSD ?

> I was thinking about porting it, because I really need this thing on
> my laptop and to have some programming experience. I just wanted to
> have a companion, because I'm not sure I can handle this by myself and
> because I'm pretty lazy these days, so I need to feel responsibility

Myself and Ashish are working on a library (libroute) that basically
abstracts out the various interfaces offered by different kernels to
interact with routing tables, etc.. Currently NetworkManager uses
libnl [1], which is a wrapper over the Linux kernel's PF_NETLINK
socket interface, but its entirely Linux specific. So libroute will
have a backend for PF_NETLINK (using libnl), one for PF_ROUTE, and so
on.

Once we have the required functionality, we intend to modify
NetworkManager so that it calls libroute instead of libnl.

The initial code is available here:
git://bombadil.infradead.org/~rishi/inetutils.git (see libroute/ and
route/) I must say that libroute is still in the initial stages of
developement. :-)

Interested?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi